Monday, September 26, 2011

New Rhythm, Prequel

You know how as a kid, everyone learns how to play the piano at least a little bit? But no one wants to learn theory. Which, usually, is fine. Cuz typically the teachers don't like theory either and would rather not teach it.

Well, even as a kid, I begged to learn theory. I never really found a teacher who would devote much time to it. But, eventually, I was introduced to scales and other precision practices. And. I. loved. them. Still do. I can practice scales and the like for hours. It's calming. I enjoy the rhythm. Of doing something similar, over and over, in different tempos or volumes or however else. Working within a set form and playing with it. At times, trying to perfect it. At other times, seeing what I can stretch around within those bounds.

I enjoy swimming laps for similar reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment